Best Christmas Events for Families New to Denton, TX
Hey y’all! Maybe it’s the dropping temperatures… maybe it’s the strings of lights that seem to have appeared overnight all over town… or maybe it’s because December is officially here — but boy, am I in the Christmas spirit!
Just the other day, a client who’s new to the area asked me for the best places to see Christmas lights in Denton, and I realized — if you’re new too, you probably have the same question.
So, in the spirit of the holidays and in bringing our families a little closer this season, I decided to dedicate this post to my family’s favorite events nearby. And let me just say, if you’re brand new to Denton, you’re in for one heck of a treat!
- The “Christmas Capital of Texas” in Downtown Grapevine (near Flower Mound)
This is hands down my favorite event… every year, Downtown Grapevine transforms into the Christmas Capital of Texas! There is SO much to do and it’s an easy drive from Flower Mound. I’ve been here several times with my own family and we always have a blast!
- 1400 events over 40 days (started after Thanksgiving)
- MILLIONS of lights
- Ice sculptures and Christmas decor to ooh and ahh over
- Animated characters to delight your little ones
- Concerts and holiday movie showings
- Quaint shops to do some gift-hunting
Seriously, if you can think of a Christmas event, they have it. Great for kids, teens, adults, everyone. GO.
- Prairie Lights Drive-Through Light Park (Grand Prairie)
This event is a little bit of a drive from Denton, but it’s well worth it — Prairie Lights! Their drive-through light park is the perfect opportunity to fill up your thermoses with cocoa, pile into your cozy car, and go for a light-filled adventure.
- 4 million lights
- 2 MILES of Christmas decorated path
- Holiday Village pit stop for Santa time, gifts and snacks, kids’ shows
- A lighted forest path for a nighttime stroll
- Dallas Zoo Lights Holiday Event
What’s better than Christmas lights? Christmas lights at the Dallas Zoo! I’ve always found zoos to be a crowd-pleaser, especially with kids. Every year, the Dallas Zoo puts on this really neat holiday event. After the sun sets and the animals go to sleep, lighted animals take their places!
- Lighted animal sculptures
- Holiday light show and live music
- Time with Santa and in the elves’ workshop
- S’mores and other goodies kids love
- Christmas in the Square (Frisco Square Blvd)
Here’s another event that’s just around the corner from Denton — Christmas in the Square!
- Largest choreographed holiday lights and music show (drive or walk)
- Ice skate under the lights and holiday music
- Christmas tree maze (who wouldn’t love to get lost here??)
- Santa time!
- The 12 Days of Christmas at Dallas Arboretum
Yes, the Dallas Arboretum is a bit of a drive from Denton, but this is another case when the car trip is worth the family memories! The 12 Days of Christmas at Dallas Arboretum is
- Acres of sprawling winter wonderful
- Live music and 3D gazebo displays
- Hot cider, cocoa, soup, cookies, and more
- More Santa time!
There you go — the top 5 holiday must-sees. I hope this little guide helps you find your way in DFW. If this is your first Christmas here, I hope it’s one for the books!
Wishing you a very merry Christmas from all of us at Made in the Shade North DFW,