Real Estate & Home Guide: Right-sizing, versus downsizing
Safety should be on top-of-mind when right-sizing your home, and one way to make sure a home is safer is to install motorized blinds, which can be drawn and raised with the flip of a switch. These window treatments ensure that older adults won’t have to risk falling while crossing a dimly-lit room.
As people become empty nesters or retire, they are finding themselves looking around at the space they occupy and realizing it no longer suits their needs.
Less space is needed and the spaces are used differently for things like hobbies, exercise, home offices, and meditation and reading rooms. Safety and convenience is now even more important.
Some call this downsizing, but perhaps it is better described as right-sizing.
Right-sizing is just that. Specifically, it means that only you know what is right for you; what you would like to change and how it would look and feel.
Keep in mind that you are not decorating your new home to please the room. In fact, you are doing it for yourself.
It can be overwhelming by all the decisions to make when downsizing. Here are some things to consider?
- What colors are you attracted to? Think about what you like and don’t like.
- What style do you like – French, Tuscan, contemporary, etc?
- What type of wood do you prefer – light or dark color; light or heavy grain; laminate or lacquer?
- What metals and finishes do you prefer – chrome or brass, shiny or matte?
- What kind of window coverings serve your needs? Perhaps motorized blinds for ease of use and safety? What kind of privacy control is needed?
- What variety of textures do you desire in fabrics?
These details will help you visualize and understand how you want your new home to look and feel in a way that complements your new lifestyle and pleases you.
Motorized Blinds Benefits:
- Popular and Affordable Choice: Motorization is available on most of your favorite blind, shade, and drapery collections.
- Hand-Held Remote Convenience: Preset your hand-held remote to raise and lower shades to different positions, as well as individual to multiple shade operations – all from the comfort of your couch!
- Peace of Mind: Increase your security and privacy by programming your shades to open and close when you are away from home.
- Not Just for Shades: Motorized tilt is available on our blind collections for the ultimate in light control.
- New Construction: Building a brand new home or business? Call us about our hard-wired motorization options for new construction.
- Existing Homes: Enjoy the latest in technology with our battery and solar powered motors.
- Save Money: Lower your energy costs with sun-sensored control.
- Practical Options: Wireless wall switches and programmable timers are available to pre-set when your shades open and close.
- Child Safety: Since there are no dangling cords, motorized shades are the ideal choice for child and pet safety.
- Longevity: Motorized window treatments place less wear and tear on your blinds and shades than manual operation.
- Integration Solutions: Ask us about integrating your motorized window treatments with your home automation system.
Take chances in your new home. Make color statements with the paint on your walls and the upholstery you purchase or recover. Also add pillows and area rugs for interest. Furthermore, your accessories are a wonderful way to bring in color, shape and interest. In fact, our possessions speak to us consciously and unconsciously. Now is the time to listen and give yourself the safety, colors, styles, comfort, and convenience you want and need. And definitely don’t keep what doesn’t make you happy.
Sign-up here for my exciting new monthly look book! It’s full of beautiful inspiration and the latest news on window coverings.